Tuesday 29 January 2013

Starting to like Switzerland

Gordon Brown (former British PM) sat adjacent on my flight to Zurich. He was off to the World Economic Forum at Davos.

My Godfather Ashton gave me two pieces of advice regarding business travel.
1. Never take the last flight out.
2. Give an airline a reason to care about you and always use that airline.

I broke both rules and it cost me as we were diverted into Geneva where I landed at 12:30 in the morning with no hotel room and meetings at 9am in Zug! I gave Gordon Brown directions to Davos (he thanked me surprisingly graciously) and caught a 5:30am train that got me to Zug just in time.

That afternoon I headed to Liechtenstein- past the beautiful Wallensee.
No- I didn't take this picture!

I was more struck by Zurich's old world charms than I'd been on previous visits.


I had lunch with a board member of a company we own a lot of shares in. A really wonderful meal- half business half classical music, photography, and life advice. A really special 2 hours I will always cherish.

And of course... my favorite sign (the border of Zurich's Red Light District)

No comments:

Post a Comment