Monday 7 January 2013

Re-Set (Nepal Post #4)

Streams do not chatter, burble, sing, or gurgle here. They roar. Even in Chomrong- ringed by a panorama of rock- it is the river, 1,800 ft below in the valley floor, that is omnipresent.

I celebrated Christmas in Thadapani. An English family shared a slice of Christmas cake (one more thing to blame the English for- fruitcake). I enjoyed their happiness when someone's mobile connected to grandparents.

We walked through terraced farmlands and large herds of livestock today. One side of the valley lush with wheat and barley and the other fallow, waiting for the seasons and sun to switch sides.

This Indiana Jones style bridge was actually being replaced (discovered post-crossing).

Chomrong is a decent-sized village and near the boundary of the wilderness (last cell service here). I took a hot shower, washed some clothes, and made a half-hearted attempt to shave.

I said goodbye to a longtime hiking companion today- my lightweight royal blue Patagonia fleece. 13 good years but it fell out of my pack somewhere along the trail. Since I bought it out of a "seconds" bin at Freeport I can't remember a hike it didn't make. I'm sure a Nepali will get better use from it than I ever will.

No comments:

Post a Comment