Monday 7 January 2013

"Rock and Roll" (Nepal Post #5)

Hari wanted to know my version of "Chzom Chzom Pokhara" (ie invocation starting a hike). "Regulatorrrrrrrrs- mount up" was too hard to translate so I settled on "Rock and Roll." We alternate now. It sounds much better when he says it.

A good start today. Another guide had picked up my blue fleece so I was back in the old familiar (and smelly) gear.

We walked down to the river through the terraces- I'd never been so close to subsistence agriculture.

I particularly liked the rock steps cunningly built into the terrace walls.

We climbed along the left valley shoulder through Sinuwa, Dovan, and Bamboo. A forest not out of place in New Hampshire- just higher than Mt Washington's summit.
Machupuchre (Fishtail) to the right
I first heard rather than saw this frothing, glacial blue pool. Now I know why gatorade called its light blue flavor "glacial freeze."

The opposite valley wall was crossed with sinuous waterfalls.

And always the river's roar in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment