Monday 24 September 2012

Rhymes with "Home"

Rome makes me want to fall in love. I think its my favorite city in the world to just walk around (New Orleans is the other that springs to mind). 10 years ago Hen (my sister) and I took a wonderful trip here and today brought back so many memories- posing by the Neptune statue at the street of 4 fountains, buying a beer by the Spanish steps, sitting by the Trevi fountain, eating a ridiculous meal (this time not in a mob dining room and it cost more than 20 euro!).  

My meetings ended at 5 and I hitched a ride to St Peters in the Vatican. I'd forgotten that La Pieta is in Rome- it transfixed me as I walked through the main doors. I stood there for 30 minutes- Michaelangelo was only 23 years old when he carved it. Its one of my favorite pieces of art in the world and I GOT TO SEE IT TODAY!

I spent -90 minutes combing over the inside of St Peters- I am always amazed at the engineering, construction, and interior design that went into those old medieval cathedrals. I walked back to my hotel by the Spanish steps via the Via dei Condotti- the fashion street with all the high-end shops. I then meandered (via the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain) over to a restaurant recommended by a colleague.





It was awesome. Zucchini flowers fried with cheese. The best mac and cheese ever (al dente pasta with bacon and black truffles).
 
Calamari from the iced display in front of the restaurant.

And yes Bruce- in honor of Katherine Elkins I got Abruzzi wine.

I'm not sure why I love this city so much- the food, the omnipresent classical architecture, the art, the statues, the fountains, the lights, memories of a favorite trip with my sister. I want to stay up later here than anywhere else. After 2 week where I haven't spent three nights straight in the same place it feels a lot like home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment