Monday 24 September 2012

A Sunny Day (Arsenal 6 Southampton 1)

I met an Orioles fan on the Heathrow Express this morning. He was a bit weird frankly but it was nice to see a familiar orange shirt. I also saw a Landon Lacrosse hat while walking through Pimlico.

I took my first steps onto a squash court today- got my stuff and went down to hit by myself. Unfortunately all the courts were full. A guy asked if I wanted to join in the round-robin.

90 minutes later I had a whole group of new friends! I was a bit under-matched but everyone was very nice and I had 3 offers to play on League teams by the end of the hour (I'm remaining a free agent for the moment). Apparently a group of guys from all over London meet in my gym every Saturday at noon- it's nice to have an open invitation and it's an interesting diverse bunch of guys.

I left my apartment at 2:15 and was at Emirates Stadium (home of Arsenal Football Club) by 2:45. That was a very nice feeling. Islington is my favorite part of London, and one of the 15 biggest soccer teams in the world is embedded in this leafy suburb a 15 minute tube ride from Central London. I love this sign- you're walking through a typical English neighborhood- massive, globally renowned Football Club that way!



Arsenal simply blew out Southampton- it was 70 degrees, the crowd was happy and on song, the combination play was beautiful, and beginning of season possibilities seem endless. a wonderful afternoon.

I met up with some fellow fans I know through work at a pub, then ate a takeout dinner sitting on a bench in Highbury Fields. Children, dogs, my favorite soccer team, a lovely sunset- all just a 15 minute tube ride away. I still want to live in Islington someday. For the second day in a row I felt at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment