Sunday 23 September 2012

Arriving and Departing

My sojourn in England started in row 61 of a british airways plane- what kind of plane has 61 rows you might ask? One with a staircase... Imagine my surprise when the stewardess directed me "past the next cabin and up the stairs."

My apartment in Dolphin Sq, Pimlico, SW London is the nicest space I've lived in since I left for boarding school in august 1997. The apartment is spacious and bright and the buildings surround an extensive and verdant lawn/garden. There's a lovely swimming pool, well-stocked gym, and 3 squash courts. The office is a 12 minute walk. Tough to imagine a better place for me.

I'm currently on a train through the West Midlands heading to the famous "triangle trade" port city of Liverpool. Arsenal (my favorite English soccer team) are playing Liverpool (one of the two famous English teams along with Manchester United) at Anfield (the Fenway Park or Wrigley Field of England). The train is stuffed with fans from both clubs and so far has been genial and spirited. Arsenal sold their best two players and have yet to score this season so the supporters are restless.

The train is passing through rolling farmland full of sheep and cows. It is pleasant but doesn't quite match the lush countryside of the southwest I've experienced during my trips to Bristol and Henley.

No comments:

Post a Comment