Sunday 18 November 2012

Londontowne

I live next to a school and every day I stop and watch the kids playing soccer before class starts. No matter how early I leave for work they are always playing.

I love walking around on weekend mornings and seeing the "walk of shame" outfits (men and women). Everyone gets so glammed up when they go out- the results the next morning can be memorable.

I was walking to a breakfast in Mayfair and took this picture of sunrise over Big Ben. I was in front of Buckingham Palace- I like to think of the Queen out on her balcony at the only time of day when tourists don't swarm- taking in the same view.


I found a wonderful book in my local pharmacy...


The toughest thing in London is doing laundry. I'm extraordinarily lucky to have a combo washer dryer (dryers are unusual) but I still have to dry each load 3 times. I've also had to (re-)learn how to iron.

I saw this hilarious old Guinness ad in a pub bathroom. The original Gatorade...

My diet is surprisingly healthy here. Fruits and Vegetables (Veg in British) are higher quality and cheaper so I can enjoy fruit and yogurt for breakfast. lunch is typically sandwiches or takeout sushi. There's less food around the office which means I don't eat leftover greasy sandwiches.

British marketing is sensationally catchy, clever, and layered. some of the ads on the Tube are really really good.

I haven't found a rhythm yet but my travel schedule lightens up now.I'm really looking forward to experiencing Christmas season in London.

Surprising... most things I buy in London are cheaper or similarly priced as in Boston


GBP Price in USD Boston Comp
Cappucino           2.20           3.52                  4.00
Sports Ticket         50.00         80.00                70.00
Dress Shirt         25.00         40.00                75.00
Dress Shoes         90.00       144.00              150.00
Pizza Slice           1.95           3.12                  3.50
Beer           3.50           5.60                  5.50
Haircut         10.00         16.00                15.00
Sandwich           3.50           5.60                  6.00



































No comments:

Post a Comment