Monday 19 November 2012

Japan and China

While in London I'm enjoying a wonderful book by Gao Xingjian called "Soul Mountain." It's a semi-autobiographical work trading his physical and metaphorical journey to Sichuan Province after receiving a false diagnosis of lung cancer. Gao left China in the late 80's, and is not welcome back.

I always always pack a book on long work trips so put Soul Mountain in my bag. Only when walking out the door did the obvious thought cross my mind. Probably not a good idea to bring a book banned in China when the guest of a state owned enterprise...

Every few years I really hanker to visit Japan. In my work environment there is tremendous condescension towards the country given the economy's decades-long doldrums. The great fear in the market is that the US will "do a Japan."

I think we could do a lot worse.

incredibly efficient infrastructure
Very few homeless people (and they look quite comfortable)
full employment
Fascinating array of sub-cultures
absolutely amazing food. After eating Japanese sushi I can't eat any other for at least 6 months.

Yeah the stock market sucks, the economy doesn't grow, the demographics are terrible, everyone drinks too much, but in terms of social ills you could do much worse.

As an American it's hard to relate to Japanese economic prioritizations but it is the most advanced country on earth- maybe an endpoint, but still amazing to experience. It feels like hyperspace in Star Wars, hyper-trendy, hyper-efficient, hyper-sophisticated, like the world is spinning around you faster than anywhere else.

I also had one of the wildest, funniest nights of my life in Osaka (descriptions only available in person).

I don't have many pictures from Osaka (reminds me of Chicago) but here are a few.
Osaka Castle

A giant Seamonster in the maritime museum (rented out for a conference event)!

beautiful autumnal food

and the obligatory weird cartoon dancing machine at the conference...

My flight from Japan to China was empty (I assume the hostilities over the Islands)

China just finished its once a decade power transition. Only the second peaceful transition (and i suspect less so than the press portrays) since 1949. it was an amazing privilege to be in Beijing for the opening of the party congress- I drove past Tian'amen Sq and the Great Hall of the People every day, the City was dressed to the nines with decorations and lights, and contrary to stereotype, there were 3 perfect fall days that made a New Englander feel right at home.

I then took the high speed train to Shanghai for a day of meetings and ate dinner in a 12th floor Pudong restaurant overlooking the Bund.

I'll close with a hilarious picture from the Shanghai Rail Station. Apparently the UBC is a big coffee brand in China! great marketing ploy Brent!

1 comment:

  1. Im hoping its better than the UBC Instant Coffee in the locker room.

    ReplyDelete