Wednesday 10 October 2012

Big F------ German

Arsenal have a German defender named Per Mertesacker. He's 6'5 and weighs around 190 lbs. On a team of 5'6 pixies and speed merchants he sticks out. He is calm, happy, occasionally ungainly, and brings a sense of stability to the team.

More than any other player Mertesacker loves the song the fans sing about him. He always turns, smiles, and pumps his arms when we sing.
We've got a big f------ German
Big f------ German
Big f------ Gerrrrrrman
We've got a big f------ German

Needless to say Mertesacker reminds me of my big brother Bruce.

I was awakened at 1am friday morning by a call from Bruce announcing the arrival of Bruce Lee Kennedy III (goes by Lee). This is the first child born to our sibling group.




As Portuguese soccer coach Jose Mourinho would say, my sister in law Maggie "Is Champion."



It was a good weekend for Baltimore. Besides welcoming Lee to the fold my beloved Orioles made the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. I wore my Orange all over Europe!

My high school friend John is in Germany to speak at a conference. It's his 30th birthday so we met up in Berlin for the weekend.

We started out eating and drinking


Then met up with an old high school friend (German exchange student) and saw his band play at a club.

We made friends wherever we traveled

But in the end the liter glasses won.

The next morning we went to see the Pergamon marbles.


Some impressive gateways.


Ancient confirmation of a current fashion trend (this Babylonian king has a man-satchel).


The whole notion of a museum seemed a bit different to the Germans. Basically they just picked up massive structures and moved them back to Germany.

We also stopped by Checkpoint Charlie (East Berlin look different now Dad?)

My favorite thing I saw in Berlin was the Holocaust memorial. It's a maze of steel blocks that creates a disorienting isolation as you walk into it.



I climbed on top of the blocks, walked into the middle, and watched the sunset. This city leaves you a lot to think on.


No comments:

Post a Comment