Monday 11 February 2013

You Can't Get Lost in Dublin


I wrote a term paper in high school about a novel called "You Can't Get Lost in Capetown." I wrote about hair and about how the "Coloured" protagonist cannot escape her racial designation- even in the melting pot of capetown- bc of the corkscrews in her hair.

You can't get lost in Dublin for a different reason- the city and the people won't let you.

I arrived Friday evening and went for a wander and a beer. By the time I was done buying drinks for all the people that had bought me drinks it was 2am.

I woke later than hoped saturday morning and walked north towards Croke Park- site of the "Bloody Sunday" massacre in 1920 when British "irregulars" opened fire on the crowd and players in a Gaelic football match (and yes Michael Collins had ordered the assassination of 14 English "spies" the previous evening).
Rememberance Park in Parnell Sq
I haven't often so enjoyed a museum as the Gaelic Athletic Association headquarters. For a student of Irish history, sporting culture, and sporting nationalism- its a treat. The ancientry of the culture shone through- the first references to Irish games are 1827 bc- a millenium before the original olympic games. And to see the gentlemen I wrote papers about in college- Michael Davitt, Charles Parnell, Michael Collins, Cusack, and their involvement in the "construction" of Ireland through a revival of Gaelic sport...

And frankly hurling is the coolest friggin thing I've seen in a long time. A combination of soccer, lacrosse, ice hockey, and bandy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXOmwQGw9kU

I walked along the river all the way to the Guinness factory. Don't these pictures remind you of Baltimore?
Looking west up the Liffey River
Ha'Penny Bridge looking East

Beautiful Rowhouses





I've no idea what a "liver assurance" is but Dublin needs a couple.

I also stumbled into a bank protest march (the Irish have a right to be angry at their banks)

Dublin has had 4 Nobel prizes in literature (Joyce not one of them), the most ancient continuous culture in Europe, and is the smallest country ever to qualify for the World Cup. Not bad for 3m people.

Sunday I went to the 6 Nations Rugby match bw England and Ireland. The biggest Int'l sporting event in Ireland this year.

Ireland stood proud but fell 12-6.

National Anthems at Lansdown Rd
Having seen a bit of the country written out of history, the country reconstructed through English eyes and words- I can only say. I am proud to wear the green. I am very proud to be Irish.

No comments:

Post a Comment